Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pecan-Molasses Granola


This was easy. This was delicious. This gave my house an instant smell of fall coziness!

When you find a great source for recipes you tend not to stray elsewhere. Some people might call this a rut but those people can hushie-uppie. It is hard to get dinner on the table E-V-E-R-Y night. I calculate that in the course of my marriage I have put 4125 dinners on the table and that is a low estimate.

These were my mother-in-law’s go to recipes (many of which are treasured family favorites now):


This is my go to recipe source:


I cannot express how much I rely on Everyday Food (oh, how I wish they were paying me to say that!). The recipes fit on one small page, there are less than a dozen ingredients to each recipe, and the instructions are very clear. I cannot recall anything that we have made from EDF that was a total stinker.

This granola was good as cereal with a little milk poured on top. It was good with yogurt, but it was absolutely stellar on ice cream. I definitely only had one two bowls.

I think these would also make great food gifts.


Pecan-Molasses Granola from Everyday Food
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses (not blackstrap)
2 Tbls. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup pecans roughly chopped (oops, I was supposed to chop these!)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix together oil, molasses, salt, and spices. Add in oats, coconut, and pecans. Stir gently until well incorporated. Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 25-30 minutes stirring frequently until oats are lightly browned.  Stir about every 5-10 minutes as this can burn quickly. This will not be crunchy when you take it out but as it cools it will crunch up. I didn’t realize this and probably overbaked mine by about 5 minutes. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 3 weeks.  Makes 5 cups.

Per ¼ cup: 135 cal; 8 g fat (2 g sat fat); 3 g protein; 15 g carb; 2 g fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment